Saturday, January 5, 2008

Making Lemonade a la Bettie Page

For blog contest, please see prior entry, below.

We had such a fun afternoon on Thursday shooting pin-ups at Vespa Scooters and Sophie's Cosmic Café on West 4th Avenue in Vancouver. What a hoot! Thanks to all the guys at Vespa, and especially to Vince who helped us out by stepping into a couple frames.

We moved from there to the studio, where I discovered I had been burgled. All my studio gear--lights, modifiers, softboxes, a snazzy Larson reflector--were gone, along with some favourite drapes for maternity shoots. And honestly, who knows what else? I didn't have the heart to poke through the leftovers. Dishearteningly, it proves to be an inside job, since the studio itself wasn't broken into. Not a great way to start the new year, I'll tell you.

Sarah was in full pin-up hair and makeup and it seemed a pity to let it go to waste. Gary Deck of Gary Deck Photography was shooting with me, and happened to have come with his 580EXII, and a ringflash (which I used sparingly), saving the day. Any photo geeks out there know how challenging that must have been for me when I was planning 40s glamour lighting.

But I love, love, love these photos.

More on a slideshow on my site under Portraits/Slideshows!






13 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooooh nooooo!!!! im so sorry to hear you were robbed. good for you to stay positive. you have gorgeous work.. i will definitely be back to check out your blog!
happy new year!
naomi

Jennifer Cook said...

What a terrible situation and I hope they find who did this! I commend you for staying so positive about it all and finishing the shoot. Great work!

Jessica Del Vecchio said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your studio! That's awful!!

These pin up shots are really fabulous! I love them!

Anonymous said...

wow...awesome photos! sarah...intellectual and pin-up model...hot on so many levels.

Anonymous said...

fantastic and VERY hot pin-up photos...I have
always been a HUGE fan of pinups (I still think
Betty is the hottest woman to ever live). Great
work by the photographers, stylists and yourself. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

beautiful portraits! 'spcially the b/w one of sarah w/ turtle-neck.
spirit and spontaneity in the 50s colour photos - full of.
Great!

~Nonah

Anonymous said...

dang i'm j-lous

i like the black&white ones in the slideshow the best

you should dress up like that all the time. i do!
learn how to do that eyeliner!

-- Tricia

Anonymous said...

the pics look great!

-- Linnea

Anonymous said...

Well that was exciting...quite the photo spread.

-- Alia

Anonymous said...

What a hottie!! Love the blog pictures.

-- Morissa

Anonymous said...

GRRRRRRRRRReat photos... whew! yikes!! I think I just....Um.

-- Kate

Anonymous said...

I really like what I'm seeing.. I'm adding you to our reader. Nice work!

Lisa Stein said...

So sorry to hear about your studio, that totally sucks. Glad to see you were able to keep going with the shoot. Love the ones with the filters, it really gives it an antique timeless look!