Thursday, November 16, 2006

Shi Shi




I was delighted to shoot Katari Taiko's character "Shi Shi" last evening. It's a bit of a challenge shooting dancing in the studio, limited as I am to the unexpansive edges of the seamless, but I still managed to catch the excitement he brings when he explodes into life. Jan Woo, who plays Shi Shi, says there is nothing like the expression on kids' faces when Shi Shi jumps into a classroom. Can't you just imagine? Last summer I photographed Katari Taiko, and Shi Shi's six-minute number, at Vancouver's Powell Street Festival, as I have for several years running. I caught two photos of kids reacting to Shi Shi, and Jan's right, it was out of this world. Just everything that is magical about childhood--big, oversized, fantasy characters who can pop you right out of your universe and into a new world.

No comments: